My photo
Our life is full of wonderful, chaotic, blessed, hysterical, insane, magical, sad, scary, sweet, mind boggling, moments. While balancing life with 3 cherubs, parents, sisters, BIL, In-laws, 1 teaching career, and many good friends; I find that our life is moving far toooo fast. It is important to cherish and record the moments as we consistently try to balance our scale (God forbid I make a photo album)! MB

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Confessions of a Holy Roller

That is right. With this post, I will be sure to make someone mad, disappointment, sad, thoughtful, possibly even faint. I of course am talking about my family (but it might shock my friends who for the majority think I am a holy roller). So please, sit down and read with an open mind.

My daughter is now going to CCD weekly, we have been trying to be faithful about church, and I am trying very hard to show my kids that faith is something that is there if they want to take hold of it. I am trying to provide them the opportunity to combine our family's faith with our values (and not feel like I am jamming it down their throats).

Every summer, my kids go to our church's Vacation Bible Fest. They combine our faith with fun! It is an amazing week in which they learn about our faith, sing (sing, sing, sing, sing), and do lots of fun stuff (face painting, outside games, etc.). Everything is brought down to their level and they love it. Really. I even love it! Last year I was one of the teachers and it was awesome. It is the one week a year, that our religion totally makes sense to me!

So, why are our weekly masses so boring? They are rarely inspiring. Ok, I have said it out loud. Now I have guilt (guilt is a post all of it's own). However, the question remains, is the guilt because we chose not to go today or that I actually feel bad b/c I didn't look forward to it enough?

To be clear, I am not questioning my faith or my values. I am just questioning why it can't be enjoyable like camp? Let's forgo some of the hand waving, wordy readings and longggggg drawn out speaches and replace it with inspiring sermons. Words to literally carry you through the week until you come back next week for more! I have been to some masses like that. They leave you happy, tingly almost. You leave with an understanding of how the teachings of the religion reflect our very own values. We could connect our everyday lives to our faith. Let's make some changes. Amen.

No comments: