My photo
Our life is full of wonderful, chaotic, blessed, hysterical, insane, magical, sad, scary, sweet, mind boggling, moments. While balancing life with 3 cherubs, parents, sisters, BIL, In-laws, 1 teaching career, and many good friends; I find that our life is moving far toooo fast. It is important to cherish and record the moments as we consistently try to balance our scale (God forbid I make a photo album)! MB

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Big Fat Greek Nap

I am taking you down a trip in my memory lane b/c this is a story worth sharing. Hubby says you had to be there but I think it is a good one no matter what. Let's set you up so you feel like you were there...just in case. You really need to know just how sleepy we were so hang in there...

5 years ago. Cherub 1 was 3 1/2, cherub 2 was a newborn (2 weeks old). We decided to relocate back to my hometown (where we also had our first house together). We bought a home, sold our home and put everything into storage because there was a 5 day lag time between closings. No biggie. We stayed with in laws for 2 days and then traveled to hometown and were planning on staying with my rents for 3, who also live here. Once in town, our realtor called and said 'are you sitting down?'. Now this is never a good question. No one ever says 'are you sitting down, because I want to marry you' or 'are you sitting down, because I got a new job'. The elderly lady who sold us her house decided she wasn't moving. Wha? So officially, we were homeless.

To make a long story short (too late-but remember you need the background), we lived with my parents for 7 weeks while we hired a lawyer and got the old bag (I mean the nice elderly woman) to move. Apparently, she had done this to 2 other couples prior to us but we found that out a little too late. Needless to say, after 7 weeks of living with my parents (while I had a newborn, a 3 yr old and it was 4000 degrees in the summer) we finally moved into our house 8 weeks after leaving our old home. We were overly excited for privacy and BOOM, we were expecting our third child. However, we didn't know that. Needless to say moving, having a newborn and fixing up our new house was exhausting both of us and clouded our judgement on important things like birth control. Hold on sista, I wasn't even thinking I could pregnant so fast. Yes, now you know, babies can be conceived 8 short weeks after having a child.

So, 2 weeks later a childhood friend of mine was getting married. (Don't worry, I am landing the plane soon.) My Italian friend was marrying a very Greek man. So...Italian went Greek and she got married in his Greek Orthodox church. Yup, just like the movie. Last night hubby and I watched that movie, that is what sparked this memory.

Stand up, sit down, mumble, mumble, mumble went the ALL GREEK ceremony. None of us understood a word but we respected all the up, down, up, down and went along with it. On one of the ups, hubby collapsed (or so we thought). Seriously. At first we panicked because we thought there was something wrong with him. Nope, he was just having a big fat Greek nap during the big fat Greek wedding. That's right, standing up and all, he literally fell asleep and FELL! Falling, he made this big fat bang, caught himself and stood back up. The church was packed so the stars up front didn't see what happened but the 25 or so people around us literally laughed for the rest of the ceremony. We have never quite let him live down his nap and if anyone brings it up, we still burst into laughter.

So why did I tell you the rest? Well 2 weeks after his nap, I mean the wedding, we found out we were expecting. Oops. A little wedding drinky winky never hurt cherub 3 (thankfully). :o)

Dear Cherub 3, don't worry, you were the BEST surprise we ever had. We were thrilled (once we got over the shock). Love, M&D

No comments: