My photo
Our life is full of wonderful, chaotic, blessed, hysterical, insane, magical, sad, scary, sweet, mind boggling, moments. While balancing life with 3 cherubs, parents, sisters, BIL, In-laws, 1 teaching career, and many good friends; I find that our life is moving far toooo fast. It is important to cherish and record the moments as we consistently try to balance our scale (God forbid I make a photo album)! MB

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Spreading her wings. Not.


Cherub 1 was invited to our local minor league hockey game with a friend's family yesterday. She was all excited. Soon before she was getting picked up for her first real venture out with friends (not at a friends home), I had a casual 'don't talk to strangers, go to the bathroom with an adult and asked her to be be sure she knew the grownups names she would be with' talk. Good enough.

I swallowed my butterflies about letting my butterfly spread her wings and talked with her about how much fun she was going to have. She was looking out the door waiting for her ride. She was a little nervous to go without us but she was happy and excited.

As the parent was pulling up to get her, hubby pulled her into the livingroom. I questioned him and he said he was giving her money (lie). I told him I had it all set. $ in envelope for parent was ready in hand. He proceeded to say 'I don't want you to get lost. I am going to give you a cell phone in case you get separated from them. Don't go ANYWHERE by yourself.' Errrrr. Brakes on. Stop talking! You might be saying he was trying to do the same thing I did.

NO. He scared the living daylights out of her, she BURST into tears and announced to all of us she couldn't go without Daddy going. Nice.

I tried to calm her (and supress my urge to yell at hubby). To no avail. She wasn't going without him. Who could blame her. In his eyes she was going to get lost and he was giving her the tools she needed to contact us. Sigh. What will he do when the first boyfriend comes over someday? Put a GPS in her pocketbook?

Off hubby, FIL and cherub 1 went to the hocky game. She had a ball with all her friends. When they were walking out the door I asked hubby if he wanted me to give him a cell phone in case he got separated from them. His only reply was 'I know, I screwed up'.

Sigh.

No comments: