My photo
Our life is full of wonderful, chaotic, blessed, hysterical, insane, magical, sad, scary, sweet, mind boggling, moments. While balancing life with 3 cherubs, parents, sisters, BIL, In-laws, 1 teaching career, and many good friends; I find that our life is moving far toooo fast. It is important to cherish and record the moments as we consistently try to balance our scale (God forbid I make a photo album)! MB

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Carpe Diem

This weekend, the world lost an inspiring young woman, one of BigSis's close friends. A strong spirit, who had many wonderful friends, a family that loved her, a husband and three adorable, spirited young children. 2 1/2 years ago she was diagnosed with cancer and has braved a battle to try to save her life. She lost that battle Saturday night. We are all devastated, and yes, angry by this loss.

As many of us followed her CaringBridge blog and facebook page, we were 'with' her as she muddled through her terrible fight, head held high and humor very much in tact. We celebrated the times of peace when she was feeling well, and cried our way through the blog during the hard times. I feel as though I have to blog about her because she changed so many people's lives. She made them realize that the small stuff seriously doesn't matter. In the blink of an eye, it can all be taken away. Her death has shaken the faith of many of us, even those that have a strong one. We do not understand why God would take such a young vibrant mom, wife, sister, daughter, athlete, mind. A woman with such a zest for life, love and humor. She will make a wonderful angel but was very much needed here on earth as well. Fair, notsomuch.

So as I sit here, a 38 year old woman, I wonder why something like this would happen. I ponder how I can take this and turn it into a life lesson for me and my family. The old saying of Carpe Diem comes to mind. My late Aunt Helen used to say it and sign all her cards that way, seize the day. Maybe she had something going on there.

For Kim's sake, please, make the most of each day. I am sure she was not perfect, none of us are. Yet, if we could have an ounce of the grace, humor, and strength that she had during her fight to the end, the world would be a better place. In honor of Kim, I hope to give my kids a piece of that grace. We all wish Kim the peace and healing that heaven is hopefully offering her. She will be able to care for her family in a different way now.

Carpe Diem.

1 comment:

Evan Wilson said...

As someone who knew and cared for Kim long ago and, for a variety of reasons--all the more regrettable now--let her friendship slip away, I would add another thought to the wisdom of carpe diem. This one comes from Shakespeare: The friends thou hast, and their adoptions tried, Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel.