My photo
Our life is full of wonderful, chaotic, blessed, hysterical, insane, magical, sad, scary, sweet, mind boggling, moments. While balancing life with 3 cherubs, parents, sisters, BIL, In-laws, 1 teaching career, and many good friends; I find that our life is moving far toooo fast. It is important to cherish and record the moments as we consistently try to balance our scale (God forbid I make a photo album)! MB

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Happy Hearts Day or Not?

Quoting Miranda from one of my fav movies, SATC, "Is it me, or is Valentines Day on steroids this year?" I feel your pain. It seems like for a second grade teacher, hearts day is on steroids!

I strive to be a fun and creative teacher, however, this year I feel like we have missed sooooo much school from snow storms, mixing learning and hearts is more of a challenge! It is funny because the kids can't talk about anything else. You would think the Valentine's Santa was coming! On one spectrum, you have the "well beyond their age kids" who think that "girls should be paired with boys" and vice vs. and those blissfully innocent kids that that don't even understand what that means (thankfully)!

By the end of the day Thursday, I wanted to PUKE hearts. So, when I had to go home and help my OWN 2nd and 3rd grade cherubs fill out and organize their Valentines (skull sport heads with tattoos...so cool), I wanted to run away really fast, leaving a pink dust wake).

Then...something happened.

Cherub 1, now in 5th grade, told cherubs 2 & 3, "Enjoy it this year boys, because when you hit middle school, they don't let you pass out Valentines. It is all over!" She was so sad! She asked me why I thought this happened. It was a slap in the face for me of just how much they LOVE this tradition, both in school and out!

So no matter how much your childs teacher is sleeping, breathing and speaking in hearts, just know that they are ensuring that your child has the opportunity to build memories in the classroom, in the spirit of friendship!

As for me at home, we are continuing our tradition of decorating our windows with hearts, writing our valentines and taking the time to cherish friends and family!

No comments: